[DWJ] Favourite Narnia Books

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Wed Jun 21 22:20:59 EDT 2006

How do I get my hands on a copy of The Problem of Susan?  (Thanks for the warning, BTW.)

  EGH

"Ian W. Riddell" <iwriddell at gmail.com> wrote:  We're actually re-reading them aloud this year. We've done LWW, PC, and VDT.

My favorite moment is always Lucy's arrival in Narnia.

Actually, my favorite opening line of any book, ever is from Dawn Treader:

"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

I've not read the whole series since my first year in University - and that
was the first time I'd read them all. Before that, I stuck with LWW, Prince
Caspian, and Magician's Nephew.

We'll see how I feel about The Last Battle reading it for the first time
after becoming aware of Pullman's concerns.

Oh, and if you're going to read Gaiman's "The Problem of Susan", be aware
that it deals with some very adult issues. It's disturbing in that
Gaimanesque way - which I like, but which others, I know, may like less.

widdy

On 6/21/06, Judith Ridge  wrote:

> I don¹t think I¹ve ever considered which is my favourite Narnia book
> before,
> but I suppose I would say it¹s a toss-up between LWW and The Dawn Treader.
> But then I have so many favourite bits from the books; scenes and so on
> that
> have stayed vividly with me since about 1972...
>
> The golden man in the stream
>
> The painting of the Dawn Treader coming to life
>
> Lucy looking over the Dawn Treaders sides and all the creatures she sees
>
> That book with the recipes for preparing Man
>
> The creatures with the large foot that seconded as an umbrella
>
> The fact that the Calormenes ate oil instead of butter (I think this was
> intended to condemn them for their oily, Middle-Easternish ways, but it
> seemed entirely exotic and appealing to me)
>
> Shasta and Bree fleeing the lion, and that moment when they realise
> someone
> else is riding alongside them
>
> Puddleglum. I love Puddleglum
>
> Reepicheep and that moment when he disappears over the edge of the world
>
> The creation of Narnia and the explanation of the lamp post
>
> And as obvious as it sounds, Lucy¹s first steps into Narnia
>

> I appear to remember almost nothing from Prince Caspian, and while I
> remember a great deal about The Last Battle, they are not favourite
> memories. I think I always found it compelling in a sort of frightening
> and
> elevated way, and while I got the ³Saved!² thrill (I don¹t remember at all
> what I felt about Susan not joining them‹sad, I suppose), it would be my
> least loved of the books.
>

> --
> Judith Ridge
> Assistant Editor (Acting)
> The School Magazine
> Celebrating 90 Years‹1916-2006
> Curriculum K-12 Directorate
> NSW Department of Education and Training
>

> http://www.curriculumsupport.education.nsw.gov.au/schoollibraries/schoolmaga
> zine/index.htm
>
> PO Box 1928
> Macquarie Centre NSW 2113
> AUSTRALIA
>
> +61 2 9889 0044
> +61 2 9889 0040 (fax)

Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
-Rumi
----
Ian W. Riddell
Director of Music Ministry, James Reeb UU Congregation
iwriddell at gmail.com / riddell at perfectharmonychorus.org