[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au
Wed Jun 21 20:16:09 EDT 2006

I can't help thinking that CS Lewis just hated women. He had that
awful-strange-creepy relationship with his friend's mother... And if you
look at the books:

-Lucy is clearly a favourite (but she's not a woman, she's a child)
-Aravis is EVIL (and she is quite sexual, with all the Turkish Delight
seduction stuff)
-When Susan becomes a sexual being (which is what the whole nylons and
lipsticks thing implies), she's not allowed into Heaven.

I'm wearing pantyhose RIGHT NOW and I don't think I'm evil.

I loved the Narnia books as a kid, but I could never get past the first
chapter of The Last Battle. I just had a strange block with it. All the
Bible stuff just went straight over my head (my entire religious education
involved going to see Jesus Christ Superstar aged 11). Then, a few years
ago I saw a stage adaptation of The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe, and I
just felt so betrayed. I sat there, thinking "the big Lion is Jesus!". It
was like this whole world that I had engaged with and loved as a child was
actually just a thin veil to disguise a Bible story. I felt kind of
brainwashed, and I didn't like it one bit.

It's not that I have a problem with Bible stories... they are some of the
best stories around. It was the sneaky way in which it was done, and that I
was sucked in, without knowing what it was REALLY about.

So I understand where Philip Pullman is coming from.

Lili Wilkinson
Web Project Manager & Event Coordinator
Centre for Youth Literature
State Library of Victoria