[DWJ] Re: Last Battle

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Jun 21 18:04:16 EDT 2006

Helen Schinske wrote:

>I do like _The Last Battle_, and don't find it boring at all. In fact the
>reason I re-read it less than the others is precisely because I find it *too*
>edge-of-the-seat-y, a feeling I often dislike, for the same reason I dislike
>roller-coasters.

I found it nastier than the others because I hated the way that the Ape was
able to manipulate everyone; it was a way of behaving that I recognised and
detested.  And the dwarfs in the stable made me feel miserable.  But on the
other hand I loved it for one or two bits, which stayed with me as part of
the way I thought about things: the bewildered King and Jewel discussing
the fake Aslan and saying it was "as if the sun rose one day and were a
black sun", "Or as if you drank water and it were /dry/ water."  And I
loved the young Calormene soldier who was honourable in spite of his sneaky
commanding officer's orders.

It occurs to me that there are rather a lot of phrases and moments from the
Narnia books that have stayed in my mind.  "Ours, my boy, is a high and
lonely destiny."  (Oh yeah?)  "It's all in Plato, all in Plato, what /do/
they teach them in these schools?"  Lucy and Susan burying their faces in
Aslan's mane.  "Us lions.  That's what he said.  Us lions.  That means him
and me."  The mice all drawing their swords to cut off their own tails if
their Captain's isn't going to be re-grown by the healing potion.  Caspian
asking the dwarves to spare his poor horse. ....and so on.  I don't know
how much that's a result of having read and reread the books at a formative
age, and how much it is because Lewis had a good ear for the language.

Minnow