[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Wed Jun 21 18:00:03 EDT 2006

I don't like the destruction of Narnia, either, and that may be why I dislike the book as a whole.

  EGH

Kyla Tornheim <kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:
> I think The Last Battle is boring as a story, but it does have some nice
> theological points -- which my parents made known to me every time they
> read the series to me and my sister.  Thankfully, it was an unbroken
> tradition that when we started the series, we *always* had to read all
> seven of the books.

It's my own personal rule that I have to read all seven of the books, but
whenever I get to Last Battle, I pause and say, "But I *hate* this one!"
and then I read it and it's not nearly as bad as I remember, but I still
don't like it. It's probably because I dislike the theological points
being disguised as world-destruction. I'm upset that I've read six books
about this world, and the seventh is not only destroying it but saying
that it's okay. And while I can understand people accepting that, I don't.