[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jun 21 17:26:27 EDT 2006

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, estairm at yahoo.com wrote:
> |Deborah, the plot thickens.  What shabby treatment of
> |Jo March?  Do tell.
>
> Oh, just her burning all her stories and rushing off to marry
> Papa Bhaer so she can dedicate herself to raising other people's
> boys. Me, I just never read the last chapter.

Well, not *all* her stories. I loved Alcott's blood-and-thunder gothics,
which were presumably the sort of stories Alcott was talking about Jo
burning, as an adolescent but gothicism paled when I read them later. I
don't much like that scene myself, but Jo *is* clearly burning the
potboilers that she turned out without worrying about literary merit...
Still, it's a chilling scene.

On the other hand, I adore "that Bhaer-man" and always have. Raising
other people's boys never struck me as a fun occupation but I could see
how Jo would like it, and when I read the books as a child it never
occurred to me [to notice] that Jo would stop writing altogether (did
she? I thought there was a possible reference in Jo's Boys to her
continuing to write?) so it seemed a happy ending to me, but I was a
romantic then and am now.*sigh*

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Justice is better than chivalry if we cannot have both."
   -- Alice Stone Blackwell