[DWJ] Robert Jordan (was Re: The Last Battle etc)

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Jun 21 16:20:44 EDT 2006

and Kyla wrote:

>Ooh, this sounds like fun. It would probably be more fun if I knew
>anything about Robert Jordan...

The only thing I know about Robert Jordan is that one of the contributors
to the *Encyclopedia of Fantasy* was asked to read all his work so she
could  write the entry on said author, and she did it before the planning
stage was finished.  Then in the planning stage all the contributors were
asked to provide examples of things that had entries (like "polder" or
"pariah elite" or "mirror" or "night journey") citing sources, and by the
time I got to the draft her contributions had been included, and there was
something from a Robert Jordan book under almost every entry.  If I hadn't
known better I might have supposed him to be *the* major fantasy author of
the 20th century.  (The other thing she was going to write the entry for
was the Commedia dell'Arte -- which in the end Clute wrote instead -- and
every entry had reference to the C d'A under it, too.  A very thorough
person, she is.)

So come on deborah, give us the low-down on Jordan?  Is it *very* low-down?

Minnow