[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Jun 21 16:45:38 EDT 2006

> Yeah, I always thought that was unfair, too (I suspect C. S. Lewis was
> probably bored by Susan from the start and took that opportunity to get rid
> of her).

When you read another of his books (the one about love, I think), it
becomes clear that Susan is becoming exactly the sort of woman he didn't
like... and that he expected women to be like.

I'm thinking there's something in Elizabeth Goudge about some parson or
other claiming to dislike, or be afraid of, women, by which he means
well dressed, well fed women who weren't in any spiritual distress. It's
a sympathetic portrait of the all male academic society type's
narrowness of experience.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Justice is better than chivalry if we cannot have both."
   -- Alice Stone Blackwell