[DWJ] Re: Last Battle

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Wed Jun 21 16:45:06 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/21/2006 12:26:14 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, Minnow
writes:

I had a  severely practical "take" on that bit.  Susan hadn't died: she
wasn't  in the train-crash that killed the other three (I always suspected
that was  at Bristol Temple Meads, because the long curve and where they
were going  seemed to fit).  So she wasn't immediately eligible for "heaven"
or  "super-Narnia" or wherever it was the others ended up.  I always  assumed
that so long as she didn't actively and for ever deny whatever  aspect of
God she ended up with during her life-time, she'd get there in  the end,

Lewis *says* that in one of his letters, that Susan has time to repent. The
part I've never understood is why everyone has to die in a train  crash
anyway, if heaven is outside time. Whyever couldn't they all have gotten  together
at the end *and* had long lives in England first? Personally I think  Lewis
didn't think through what it would be like for Susan being left behind,  but
perhaps that's because I never thought about it myself until I was grown up  and
had read the stories over and over. I am pretty sure it didn't even occur to
me of my own accord, but was pointed out to me by someone else.

I do like _The Last Battle_, and don't find it boring at all. In fact the
reason I re-read it less than the others is precisely because I find it *too*
edge-of-the-seat-y, a feeling I often dislike, for the same reason I dislike
roller-coasters.

Helen Schinske