[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

Wed Jun 21 16:17:43 EDT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:35:15 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, estairm at yahoo.com wrote:
>|Deborah, the plot thickens.  What shabby treatment of
>|Jo March?  Do tell.
>
>Oh, just her burning all her stories and rushing off to marry
>Papa Bhaer so she can dedicate herself to raising other people's
>boys. Me, I just never read the last chapter.

It seems so horribly contrived next to everything else about the book.  If
Alcott could live a life of fulfilled singlehood, why couldn't Jo?  And
doesn't that sort of undermine Alcott's successes as a novelist?  Bah
humbug.

Melissa Proffitt