[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting

Wed Jun 21 16:13:37 EDT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:36:51 +0200, Irina Rempt wrote:

>On Wednesday 21 June 2006 06:04, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> I had a pair approach me in a park a few weeks ago offering to swap
>> my _Bourne Ultimatum_ for a Book of Mormon.  I told them I already
>> had tons. (I should have said their mission president wouldn't want
>> them in possession of such worldly reading material.)
>
>Do they really? Mission presidents, I mean?

Yes, but not because it's EEEEvil; missionaries are supposed to stay focused
on spiritual things.  No "worldly" music, no popular fiction, no movies or
television, etc.  Though missionaries who stray a little from this rule
aren't generally punished.  Jacob bought a bunch of German translations of
fantasy books and some rock music tapes while he was there in '88-'90.

Mostly I just like to yank the Utah missionaries' chains.  They don't
usually know if someone they're approaching is LDS or not, so they assume
everyone isn't.  I told a pair of sisters that I was a Proffitt and they
about fell over in shock.  :)

Melissa (the) Proffitt