[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Jun 21 15:25:07 EDT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Minnow wrote:
|Susan just didn't have the luck to die young as those whom the
|gods love do, but she wasn't barred from heaven forever, as I saw it.

Fair 'nuff.  And I've since read The Great Divorce, so I know that
nobody is barred from heaven forever in CS Lewis-verse. You can
always figure it out later.

Which actually isn't quite true in Narnia. If you don't get into
heaven, you go away on the other side of the door and become a
dumb beast. No second chances, as far as I can tell.

|Lawks!  Don't go reading *That Hideous Strength*, even in the heavily-cut
|later paperback edition; you'll go off in an apoplexy!  I nearly threw it
|across the room several times, and only its being a hardback belonging to
|my mother saved it.  I still find it very annoying in its assumptions about
|sexually-based roles in -- well, in everything, really.

Don't get me started on Robert Jordan.

No, I take it back. Get me started. I dare you.

-deborah
--
Glory be to God for dappled things 	-- G. M. Hopkins