[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Jun 21 14:28:05 EDT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Otter Perry wrote:
|But I think his point of  view may not be quite as far
|from Lewis's as he thinks.  I'm not a bit happy about
|the fact that one's daemon stops changing at
|puberty.  It sounds a bit like the 11-plus to me.

My reading of Philip Pullman's essays on CS Lewis and of His Dark
Materials is that that kind of virulent anger only comes from
feeling betrayed by something you loved very very much. I agree
that Pullman is much closer to CS Lewis than he thinks he is, and
the daemons are definitely part of that. At some level, the only
difference between Pullman's opinions about sexuality and
adulthood and CS Lewis's are that Pullman thinks that essential
maturity is good and innocence is not so much, and CS Lewis
thinks that the innocence is good and the essential maturity is
not so much. Sort of like Carol Gilligan reworking essentialist
roles of gender by just revaluing what was positive and what was
negative.

-deborah
--
I need to bond with you.  It's part of my therapy.