[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Jun 21 14:25:19 EDT 2006

On Wednesday, June 21, 2006, at 11:13 AM, <estairm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I hate The Last Battle for many reasons, partly the
> end of Narnia, partly because of the Ape, but mostly
> because of Susan.
>
> I mean, she was left alone in our world, with her
> entire family wiped out, because she forgot Narnia?!?
>
> She was not a bad person, just shallow.
>
> Yuk.
>
> Esther
> in Israel

It irritates Philip Pullman, too.  He dislikes Lewis because
he says that girls don't have to be pre-pubescent to be
saved.  [This is an enormous over-simplification, you
realize, of Mr. Pullman's views.]

Philip [or should it be Phillip?] is in favor of puberty.

But I think his point of  view may not be quite as far
from Lewis's as he thinks.  I'm not a bit happy about
the fact that one's daemon stops changing at
puberty.  It sounds a bit like the 11-plus to me.

I confess that the whole daemon thing bothered
me, mostly because I fear my daemon is a guinea
pig or something, instead of being something cool
like an otter.

I found a letter to my sister the other day that I
had forgotten to mail.  It just needed a little
updating to send.  After "the baby is ..." I
crossed out "toilet trained" and wrote in
"graduating from high school this month."

                                        - Erma Bombeck