[DWJ] Re: The Last Battle (was witches in fiction, and exploiting)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Jun 21 14:13:13 EDT 2006

Esther said...

>I hate The Last Battle for many reasons, partly the
> end of Narnia, partly because of the Ape, but mostly
> because of Susan.
>
> I mean, she was left alone in our world, with her
> entire family wiped out, because she forgot Narnia?!?
>
> She was not a bad person, just shallow.

Yeah, I always thought that was unfair, too (I suspect C. S. Lewis was
probably bored by Susan from the start and took that opportunity to get rid
of her).

Though I did once read - can't remember where, now - a rather nice Narnia
fanfic in which it was explained that Susan was given the choice, and
*chose* to stay behind because someone needed to, to keep the idea of Narnia
alive in the "real" world.  I feel a bit better about her when I think of
that idea, that she made a major sacrifice for Narnia and got reviled for
it.  (But then, I've always felt Judas got a pretty raw deal too.)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"