[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Jun 21 14:04:58 EDT 2006

Sallyo said...

> Elizabeth G. Holtrop writes:
>>  Most people's favorite seems to be The Lion, the Witch,  and the
>> Wardrobe,
>
> It could stand alone, couldn't it? I like The Silver Chair. The green
> witch has elements of Laurel in her. (ODWJM)

Oh yes, "The Silver Chair" is my favourite, too.  Puddleglum is so
wonderful, and the missing the Signs, and the depictions of the underworld,
and the smell of burnt marshwiggle (I can almost smell it myself, every time
I read) and the final flight...

And yes, the witch is very Laurel-ish in some ways.

Though I also love "The Horse and His Boy".  Calormen is so fascinating!
And all the descriptions of food, both in Calormen and Narnia...

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"