[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting

Wed Jun 21 00:07:30 EDT 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:49:25 -0700 (PDT), Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:

>If most Christians practiced what they preached, the world would be very, very, very different.
>
>  That said, I'm not sure a lot of people get to the 7th book in the  series.  Most people's favorite seems to be The Lion, the Witch,  and the Wardrobe, and possibly that says something about whether anyone  is getting to the end of the series.  I think The Last Battle is  boring as a story, but it does have some nice theological points --  which my parents made known to me every time they read the series to me  and my sister.  Thankfully, it was an unbroken tradition that when  we started the series, we *always* had to read all seven of the books.

Funny thing, when I read the series to my younger sibs, we bogged down in
that one chapter in _The Horse and His Boy_ where they're hiding behind the
sofa listening to the Evil Plot.  I wish we'd gotten to the end.  There is
some really great stuff in the last two books (though I agree that _The Last
Battle_ is pretty boring as a story, and I really don't enjoy books that
have the "end of everything" motif--I'd rather believe the world is still
there, going on as usual).  But my own favorite is definitely _The Silver
Chair_.

Melissa Proffitt