[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting

Tue Jun 20 15:24:42 EDT 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:14:28 -0400, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>> In my religion, poor C.S. Lewis has been adopted as an honorary Mormon--he'd
>> probably have hated that--because his interpretations of Christian doctrine
>> are similar enough to ours that a Latter-day Saint can read his books very
>> comfortably.  I like his theological writings as well as his fiction, and
>> frankly I wish more people read _Till We Have Faces_--very complex issues of
>> faith and one's relationship to God.
>
>*snorfle*
>
>One of my dearest friends is a Mormon (converted, due to a very
>convincing series of events). I asked him a few things about the
>religion in order to not say the wrong things when conversing with his
>daughter. He offered to have me take some of the 'discussions' (I think
>they are called) with the female missionaries. This sounds sort of,
>ahem, missionary. But as assistant missions whats-is for his church he
>had found that the young missionaries could use exposure to a person
>who wasn't basically Christian and he figured that I could provide
>that (and wouldn't be too hard on them).
>
>The embarrassing part was that they had a great deal of difficulty with
>discussing basic concepts and even when I tried throwing in Narnia
>references they were completely blank-faced. Poor kids. I suspect the
>more savvy ones get sent to less homogeneous places than our Valley...

Yes, I feel sorry for a lot of our young missionaries, who have a lot of
culture shock to deal with sometimes.  They're not all fresh-faced and
idealistic, but....  The "curriculum" for teaching missionaries how to, um,
teach has changed recently--less emphasis on rote learning and more on
understanding concepts so they can explain them to people (and field
questions better).

I've had four brothers serve missions for the LDS church and any number of
other friends and family members, and they've all had different experiences.
Most of them were the more savvy type, though.  My husband Jacob often tells
the story of how he shocked his missionary companion by teaching someone in
a gay bar in Germany--definitely outside the pale for your average
missionary boy....

Melissa Proffitt
(who is a TERRIBLE missionary, thank heavens)