[DWJ] Re: Dwj Digest, Vol 10, Issue 52

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Tue Jun 20 14:56:53 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/20/2006 9:01:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dwj-request at suberic.net writes:

minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>Sorry.  That was very  careless; I meant Xtian (like Augustus Carp), or
>something, when I used  the Capital C Christian

But Xtian is a normal abbreviation that Christians themselves might use. I
think Lewis uses it occasionally (he used a lot of abbreviations in his
correspondence). I did see "Christianist" in the New Yorker the other day, along
the lines of "Islamist." I think both sound horrible, frankly. Would anyone say
Jewist, or Judaismist? Buddhismist? Friendist? (Are you meant to be starting
with the noun or the adjective when you make these things up, anyway?)

These things are hard to say. I'd better stop, or there'll be spit all over
my keyboard. (By the way, my son just had an expander put in -- one of those
palate-widening gizmos orthodontists use -- and hith thpeechth ith a little
peculiah ath a rethult. Naturally on the way to school he starts a conversation
 involving the words Methodist and Episcopalian. It wath pretty funny.

Helen Schinske