[DWJ] Xtianity

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jun 20 13:18:38 EDT 2006

Robyn wrote:

>I think the word you want here is not Christian, but christianist - it's
>a word I've heard people use to describe people who fit your profile.
>Not actually Christians as defined by people like Melissa, but using
>Christianity to promote a narrow set of views, often for political
>purposes. (Like the politician who is against gay rights on moral
>grounds but who also reportedly gave his business card to 2 cute young
>lesbians and offered them $1000 for sex.)

Thanks!  That sounds exactly like what I need for the breed.  If Islamist
is used to express a feeling that the person it's applied to is using some
sort of perversion of Islam to justify doing whatever particular unpleasant
thing he or she feels inclined to do, then Christianist similarly could
express the feeling that its adherents pervert Christianity.

(Otter's sig fits here beautifully:
I distrust those people who know so well what God
wants them to do because I notice it always coincides
with their own desires.
                                          - Susan B. Anthony
Well, yes.)

I shall now have to try not to think about "Taoistists" and "Buddhistists",
as a sort of inevitable linguistic follow-on, but I don't think there are
many high-profile examples of either so I shan't worry too much.

Minnow