[DWJ] Early fantasy?

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 19 23:27:53 EDT 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Margaret Ball wrote:

> Jane wrote
>
> > And it occurred to me that these are very like fantasy, but set in
> > this world in undiscovered areas, and that it's only as so much of
> > the world has been discovered that fantasy has had to move to
> > other planets and parallel universes.

> But fantasy _hasn't_ "had to move to other planets and parallel
> universes." Sure, they exist in fantasy, but there are also lots of
> fantasy novels that don't require them. Look at _Eight Days of
> Luke_, or _Dogsbody_, or _Fire and Hemlock_. Or all of Charles
> DeLint.

Different type of fantasy, though, isn't it? The kind of thing Haggard
wrote was fantasy where our heroes crossed the borders of the normal
world into somewhere new and strange, and that's had to change as the
borders of the normal world move outward. All the things you mention
are things where instead of our heroes going out, the strangeness
comes in.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."