[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jun 19 21:14:28 EDT 2006

> In my religion, poor C.S. Lewis has been adopted as an honorary Mormon--he'd
> probably have hated that--because his interpretations of Christian doctrine
> are similar enough to ours that a Latter-day Saint can read his books very
> comfortably.  I like his theological writings as well as his fiction, and
> frankly I wish more people read _Till We Have Faces_--very complex issues of
> faith and one's relationship to God.

*snorfle*

One of my dearest friends is a Mormon (converted, due to a very
convincing series of events). I asked him a few things about the
religion in order to not say the wrong things when conversing with his
daughter. He offered to have me take some of the 'discussions' (I think
they are called) with the female missionaries. This sounds sort of,
ahem, missionary. But as assistant missions whats-is for his church he
had found that the young missionaries could use exposure to a person
who wasn't basically Christian and he figured that I could provide
that (and wouldn't be too hard on them).

The embarrassing part was that they had a great deal of difficulty with
discussing basic concepts and even when I tried throwing in Narnia
references they were completely blank-faced. Poor kids. I suspect the
more savvy ones get sent to less homogeneous places than our Valley...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Justice is better than chivalry if we cannot have both."
   -- Alice Stone Blackwell