[DWJ] Re: Nancy Drew (was Love Story)

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Jun 19 13:07:30 EDT 2006

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 HSchinske at aol.com wrote:

> I remember trying to get my best friend to go along with re-enacting
> _Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth_, with me  playing
> the part of Jennifer. We definitely got as far as the fingernail  clippings and
> the milkshakes with raw eggs. I gave it up after reading a book  about
> Satanism and deciding this witchcraft business wasn't for me.
>
> Helen Schinske

Nice to hear that other people did things like that, too!  I tried to
convince my little brother to re-enact Zilpha Keatley Snyder's _The
Headless Cupid_.  I really do think that I genuinely expected him to
perform all the ordeals in the book - not touching any metal for a day
(worse than Chrestomanci!), and not walking at all on the floor another
day.  He didn't do very well, unsurprisingly.

And, ObDWJ, before I convinced my best friend in elementary school to read
_Witch Week_, I tried to get her to cast the Simon Says spell on me.  With
that one, I _think_ I vaguely expected that it wouldn't work.  At least, I
hope so.  The book goes to such lengths to demonstrate exactly why the
spell is a bad idea.

					---Kyra

---
"If anything, I have too much space.  Every two months, I am doing a nice
Stalinist purge."
		---Zizek on his home, as quoted at
		http://www.rebeccamead.com/2003/2003_05_05_art_marx.htm