[DWJ] witches in fiction, and exploiting children (was

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Jun 18 18:20:37 EDT 2006

> Maybe they *did* know what it was about, then.  That message runs clean
> contrary to "no-one cometh to the Father but through Me", which is the
> christian-exclusivity clause -- as opposed, of course, to "in my Father's
> house are many mansions", which suggests that someone else may be right *as
> well as*, rather than *instead of*, oneself and one's parents and preacher.
> One needs to be very secure indeed in one's faith not to be bothered about
> the idea that it might not be the *only* faith, that others who have a
> quite different set of ideas about something may not be *wrong*, they may
> just be different...

I'm very unhappy about _Wise Child_ myself, because it contains just
enough historical trappings to support the spurious ideas about a clash
between 'Wiccans' and Christians at that time period. As a pagan I can't
support spreading myths about other people's religions.  I like
Furlong's writing, and I enjoy the book, but I think the whole trend of
the conflict of the book would enhance stereotypes about Christianity
and behavior of Christians. I wouldn't want to hear that teachers were
reading the book to young people of my acquaintance.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Justice is better than chivalry if we cannot have both."
   -- Alice Stone Blackwell