[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Sat Jun 17 17:16:02 EDT 2006

I avoid horror and have never read a vampire novel except for  Sunshine.  I was worried about trying Sunshine, but I'm glad I  trusted McKinley enough to read it.  After the first few pages  (perhaps the first page) I was totally drawn in and couldn't stop  reading.  None of the gore bothered me; it's a very intellectual  book, but the vampire parts are...not a veneer, because they're very  much integral to the story, but the icky vampire parts just faded away  for me in the face of the rest of the story.  That may not be the  case for all readers, but I was glad I gave it a chance.

  E.H.

Elizabeth Bentley <elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com> wrote:  On 17/6/06 09:48, "Jane Scarlett"  wrote:

> Oh yes - that got me exactly the same way.  I sort of enjoyed Justine, and
> got to the end of that, but 120 days I barely got started.
>
> The other book I wish I hadn't read is Dracula - I read this aged 12 or
> so, thinking I'd stop if it got scary, but by the time I got scared I was
> too far in and couldn't stop.  I can't remember details of the plot now,
> but even thinking enough to write this is starting my heart beating
> faster. I've never dared to try Sunshine in case it's similar, and avoid
> all horror now just in case.  (Thankfully no-one told me Neil Gaiman was
> considered horror until I'd read several of his books:-))

While I would hesitate to say you should try RM's Sunshine anyway, I enjoyed
it very much, although horror is not a genre I enjoy. There is definitely a
very gruesome episode in it, but it is not scary, I don't think.

EB
Elizabeth Bentley
mailto:elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com