[DWJ] Accents

Roslyn rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jun 16 08:52:09 EDT 2006

>>My brother claims that the girls who went to my
>>school in Melbourne have a specific accent that >becomes more pronounced
>>when we talk to one another.
>
> haha. what school? when i moved to MacRob my mother complained that i got
> posh accent. (as opposed to the slight greek tinge i'd gained at northcote
> high school).
>
> (muses that the l-dropping adelaidians must be like the opposite of the
> l-adding bristollians (is that where polly's dad goes to live?)

I seem to notice a difference between the accents of Melbournians and
Sydneysiders. The latter are more likely than the former to pronouce "dance"
(etc) the British way, with the "ah" sound. Melbournians are more likely to
pronounce it as the American way, to rhyme with "ants". And there seems to
be a particular kind of posh Sydney accent (that again, seems to be more
common among women) that's a little different from the "posh" accent of
Melbourne.

Ros