[DWJ] Re: Nancy Drew (was Love Story)

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Fri Jun 16 02:19:00 EDT 2006

On Friday 16 June 2006 03:57, Paul Andinach wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:
> > Where do religious parents draw the line?  I think every Christian
> > parent I know would condone The Chronicles of Narnia, because
> > they're written by a Christian author.  But what about Madeleine
> > L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, also by a Christian author, also with
> > witches?
>
> One underlying rationale for this sort of behaviour is that the real
> world contains actual witches, who are all evil, and impressionable
> youngsters must be guarded from anything that might persuade them to
> give the real witches the benefit of a doubt.
>
> On this basis, I can see someone accepting 'The Chronicles of Narnia'
> because all its witches are evil, but turning away 'A Wrinkle in
> Time' because it suggests that some witches are good and helpful to
> children in trouble. The author's professed religion would not be a
> deciding factor: clearly anybody who tells children that there are
> good witches isn't a *real* Christian anyway...
>
> Also, I would not be surprised to learn that some parents ban even
> 'The Chronicles of Narnia' just because it has witches in, regardless
> of *how* they're portrayed.

My daughters say that their friend who isn't allowed to read books with
witches in, isn't allowed to read Narnia either. (I keep boggling that
she *can* watch violent films, as long as they're "realistic"!)

I don't actually ban books as such --they can read anything they want--
but I've strongly recommended against *buying* books that actively
encourage becoming a witch yourself (they exist! aimed at teenage
girls). If they want to read those, they can get them from the library;
I don't want them to become part of the inventory of our house.

(I realise now that *I* wouldn't mind much; it's just that I know that B
minds and I don't want to have to defend my decisions or the kids'
reading)

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 29-May-2005