[DWJ] Re: Nancy Drew (was Love Story)

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jun 15 21:57:02 EDT 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:

> Where do religious parents draw the line?  I think every Christian
> parent I know would condone The Chronicles of Narnia, because
> they're written by a Christian author.  But what about Madeleine
> L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, also by a Christian author, also with
> witches?

One underlying rationale for this sort of behaviour is that the real
world contains actual witches, who are all evil, and impressionable
youngsters must be guarded from anything that might persuade them to
give the real witches the benefit of a doubt.

On this basis, I can see someone accepting 'The Chronicles of Narnia'
because all its witches are evil, but turning away 'A Wrinkle in Time'
because it suggests that some witches are good and helpful to children
in trouble. The author's professed religion would not be a deciding
factor: clearly anybody who tells children that there are good witches
isn't a *real* Christian anyway...

Also, I would not be surprised to learn that some parents ban even
'The Chronicles of Narnia' just because it has witches in, regardless
of *how* they're portrayed.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."