[DWJ] Bristol Reader's Day Part Two

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 15:46:59 EDT 2006

> Andrew Taylor chose Black Swan Green -- David
> Mitchell  about a boy growing up in the 1980's
> during the Falklands War. He declared a personal
> interest, the protagonist, like Taylor himself,
> has a stammer.

I'm just reading this--I've read some of David Mitchell's previous work and
I like him a lot.  So far I like Black Swan Green a lot--it's a lot more
traditional than Ghostwritten or Cloud Atlas, but somehow more centered.

Somehow they got around to the subject of a
> recent novel in which someone has retold Howard's
> End. There seemed to be some doubt as to whether
> HE was old enough for someone to do this. On the
> other hand it was a very traditional part of
> story telling to transform older stories. Diana
> said that in particular when writing for children
> it was a way of introducing them to stuff before
> they encountered the original.

Zadie  Smith's newest?  I've put off reading it because I loved Howard's End
so much by itself, but I know it has a huge Forster influence.

Was anyone else introduced to John Donne through Howl?  I know I'm not the
only one who came across the Golden Bough through Fire and Hemlock.

lizzie, apparently delurking today