[DWJ] Accents

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jun 15 12:21:13 EDT 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:

> I think in Melbourne we tend to soften our vowels a bit, like saying
> "Malbourne" instead of "Melbourne". In SA they tend to drop 'l's if they're
> at the end of a word: pool, school etc. Queenslanders are usually very
> Strine, and WA-ians are a little bit pommie.
>
> lili

Oh, God, the "l-dropping" thing in Adelaide is _exactly_ what I wrote my
senior linguistics thesis on.  Horrible, horrible experience - pretty much
the reason why I'm sure I would never want to get a PhD.

If anyone is really masochistic, it's (unfortunately) available on the web
at:
http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/Linguistics/papers/2003/jucovy.pdf.

					---Kyra

---
"If anything, I have too much space.  Every two months, I am doing a nice
Stalinist purge."
		---Zizek on his home, as quoted at
		http://www.rebeccamead.com/2003/2003_05_05_art_marx.htm