[DWJ] Accents

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 15 11:00:45 EDT 2006

After I moved to Canada, I had a student who told me I was "harder to
understand than a French person." When I was discussing this with my
chair, he said "I am sure there are posh Australian accents and non-posh
Australian accents." My brother claims that the girls who went to my
school in Melbourne have a specific accent that becomes more pronounced
when we talk to one another.

Of course, now I have been in Canada for a few years, Australians think
I sound Canadian, and vice versa. So I have my very own accent.

robyn