[DWJ] now OT telephone

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Jun 15 06:29:42 EDT 2006

Juliette has a co-operative family!

>We have decided that we will not answer the phone if it rings at dinner
>time. It's always a marketroid. There's an answering machine for real
>people to leave a message. I have also stopped listening to their talk.
>I say "I never do business with companies that call me at home.
>Goodbye." And then I hang up on them while they are still talking. Some
>degree of politeness is appropriate but I'll be damned if I will let
>them waste any more of my time.

If the phone rings exactly as I have succeeded in rounding up the four or
five people who are meant to be eating it and put a cooked meal on the
table, two things apply.

One, someone will answer it no matter how much there may be cries of "Let
it ring!  If it's important they'll try again."

Two, three times out of four it will be my brother-in-law wanting to talk
to my husband, and said husband will *never* say, "James, we always eat at
this time.  Could you ring back in about an hour?"  He will be on the phone
for fifteen minutes catching up on news of no possible immediacy, about
distant cousins he hasn't actually met in the past twenty years or more and
who live in Canada or Australia, or about plans for a possible holiday next
summer...  Meanwhile his food will get cold, and everyone else will have
the choice of being rude and going on without him or also having their food
cold too.

Pah.

Minnow