[DWJ] Re: was 'Mediocre fantasy serieses', now OT telephone

sally at sallyodgers.com sally at sallyodgers.com
Wed Jun 14 19:30:51 EDT 2006

Minnow writes:

> I completely freaked out a chap working in the Bristol Ikea who helped me
> carry something to the car, because I asked him "Are you from Tasmania?"
> He wasn't expecting anyone in England even to know the place existed let
> alone recognise his accent.

It's not really that recognisable to us here, as Australia doesn't have much
in the way of regional accents, but Tasmania had a higher-than-average
influx of Irish, which pushed our "i" over towards "oi" a bit. The South
Australians I've known seem to change their "a" sound in "castle", and
stretch "known" into two syllables.