[DWJ] Re: was 'Mediocre fantasy serieses', now OT telephone

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Jun 14 18:56:44 EDT 2006

Sallyo asked:

>Is anyone from - drumm roll - Bristol?

several hundred thousand, I expect.  :-)

It's not where I come from, it's where I came to; I have lived in Bristol
for the best part of thirty years.

>Sallyo. (Funny thing; I belong to a writing site where it is possible to put
>up recitations. I put up some of mine because the heavily US members
>couldn't get their heads around what I might sound like. Most of them reckon
>I sound Irish. I do have a bit of Irish ancestry, but it's many generations
>back. 'f you want to hear what a Tasmanian sounds like - no jokes about two
>heads, you other Ozzies - I think there are sound files at
>http://www.sallyodgers.com/ephemera.htm .)

I completely freaked out a chap working in the Bristol Ikea who helped me
carry something to the car, because I asked him "Are you from Tasmania?"
He wasn't expecting anyone in England even to know the place existed let
alone recognise his accent.

My Tasmanian friend who lives in the town I *come* from makes fabulous
things out of beads.  I am now going to have to go and say "There's no such
thing as coincidence" several times, probably to the rowan tree in the back
garden.  :-)

Minnow