[DWJ] Mediocre fantasy serieses (was Titles (was

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Jun 14 13:51:58 EDT 2006

Margaret said...

> BTW, you're probably right about most of those other "collaborations"
> you've read. I quit going to sf conventions a long time ago and so I'm not
> au fait with the current gossip, but I have heard that these
> pseudo-collaborations have become very popular with publishers. I'd be
> deeply suspicious of any "collaboration" where one author is a Big Name
> and the other is somebody you never heard of!

Well, when I come across books like that, as I said, my assumption is that
the BNA wrote the plot outline and nothing else...but I'll often pick them
up anyway, in the hope that the person I've never heard of will turn out to
be a good writer, and then I'll pick up the books they've written on their
own.  Which I suppose is probably the point of these things, really, getting
the unknown author's name known.

I do agree that it's unfair on those readers who don't know much if anything
about the publishing industry and think they're getting more of the BNA's
work than they really are, though.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"