[DWJ] Swithering Depths (was Titles (was

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Wed Jun 14 12:36:02 EDT 2006

Minnow wrote

> The Official Version of their early lives is a pleasingly Gothick fantasy,
> I agree.   :-)   In fact it mirrors what happens in Swithering Depths, in
> that as in that book, the village and its inhabitants have simply been
> written out of the story as not being convenient if the plot is to work at
> all.
Oh yes, I realize that the Official Version is mostly fantasy, as are
most official versions of anything. But I didn't know that when I was a
teenager reading the Brontes, and I suspect most people don't know it
when they first encounter the Brontes.
And....I saw Haworth Parsonage once and it struck me as distinctly
creepy. Or was that just my overactive eleven-year-old imagination? I
haven't been back there since 1959.

--
-Margaret Ball
www.flameweaver.com