[DWJ] Re: Swithering Depths (was Titles (was London Meet))

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 12:30:38 EDT 2006

> I have a (fairly idle) theory that the Bronte sisters, managed to
> qualify as Great Literature collectively; that, as a family of
> writers, they exert a fascination that any one of them might not have
> achieved alone.

Well, that's a fair cop. And for all the rather florid Victorianisms Jane
Eyre is a cracking good read. Shirley and Villette are harder to really like, but
may be better written in some ways. It's been so long since I tried to read
either of them that I can't be sure.

My own favorite was always Anne. But The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is a rude
shock (and a dissapointment) for someone who is expecting a proper Brontian
gothic.