[DWJ] Bujold/Cordelia (was Titles(was London Meet))

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Jun 13 23:43:21 EDT 2006

Robyn wrote

> I think there's this sense in which Cordelia sees politics as
> Jeffersonian democracy, (or Betan democracy, or whatever), so any
> other political system isn't political.
That may be, but she doesn't seem be that interested to Betan politics
either - otherwise she wouldn't have been so astonished on her return
home to find Steady Freddy hailing her as a war hero. In fact, all her
reactions on Beta strike me as those of a person who genuinely doesn't
pay attention to politics and is surprised and infuriated to find that
the politicians think they have any right to mess with her private life.

I think she handles Barrayar by thinking of what she's doing as
fieldwork in cultural anthropology rather than practical politics.
(remember the list of Rules?)

> there is no way that cutting off the usurper's head (or ordering same)
> is not a political act.
I dunno. Seems to me that beheading someone who has endangered your
child's life (and will, if allowed to live, probably go on endangering
it) could reasonably be described as a personal decision, not a
political one. I think Cordelia was a lot more interested in staying
alive and retrieving Miles than in who got to play Emperor on Barrayar.

Granted, I'm hampered here by the fact that I can't check the
literature; all my Miles Vorkosigan books are behind 2,500 copies of
that damned beadwork book. See, it just happens that there's a
bookshelf-lined niche in the study which is the right size to store 100
boxes of books. So when I decided to print my own beadwork book, that
was the obvious storage place. With the first printing I lined the
bookshelves with reference books that I didn't expect to need...and then
started writing another fantasy novel and found myself seriously
inconvenienced by the fact that all my books on folklore and on 18th and
early 19th century life in Scotland were behind the Book Box Pile. So
when those copies were sold and I ordered another 3,000, I thought,
"Well, I'm not making _that_ mistake again," moved all the reference
books out to the hall, and filled the bookshelf niche with novels that
I'd read so often, it shouldn't be any hardship to not re-read them for
a year or so.

And now I need to look at the ending of _Shards of Honour_. Aarrrgh. I
guess I don't _own_ any books that I can be sure I won't want to look at
for a solid year.

--

-Margaret Ball
www.flameweaver.com