[DWJ] Swithering Depths (was Titles (was London Meet))

Elizabeth G. Holtrop elizabeth at bouma-holtrop.com
Tue Jun 13 21:46:05 EDT 2006

Is there anything to the idea that they're interesting also because  they wrote under the guise of male names (or initials with the  assumption that they were male -- I can't remember which) and captured  attention, later to be discovered to be female?

  I haven't made it through even one Bronte book, so I don't really have much else to say on the subject.

  E.

Paul Andinach <pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:  On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> The fascination, if there is any, lies in trying to work out why on
> earth anyone ever considered the thing Great Literature.

I have a (fairly idle) theory that the Bronte sisters, managed to
qualify as Great Literature collectively; that, as a family of
writers, they exert a fascination that any one of them might not have
achieved alone.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."