[DWJ] Mediocre fantasy serieses (was Titles (was

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 13 21:09:27 EDT 2006

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Margaret Ball wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Paul Andinach wrote:

> > > Margaret Ball's 'The Ship Who Searched' is also not bad,
> > > although it has one of the worst blurbs I've ever read.

> > Whoops, crossed wires: Margaret Ball's was 'PartnerShip'.

> Baen has this vicious policy on blurbs....if you don't like it they
> invite you to compose your own. Trust me, if I'd had to write the
> blurb it would've been even worse!

The thing I objected to wasn't the writing or its qualities as a
marketing text, it was the screwy way it related to the actual plot.
(As I recall, it described, as if it were the whole plot, a problem
that doesn't even arise until about two-thirds of the way through.)
I'm sure you couldn't have done worse without deliberate effort.

> BTW, those "ship" sequels are sharecrops, not real collaborations...

I had always suspected as much. (I think I put a comment to that
effect in my message that you reply to, then took it out in case I was
wrong.)

> I wrote the whole book based on 2 pp of scrawled notes from Annie
> outlining a story I didn't much like and never could get really
> interested in.

I wonder if that was true of the others? I have always blamed Mercedes
Lackey for the plot of 'The Ship Who Searched', as much as its other
failings; perhaps I was wrong about that.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."