[DWJ] Bujold/Cordelia (was Titles(was London Meet))

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 13 19:45:02 EDT 2006

Margaret Ball wrote:

>> Oh, all right, all right. I am _really_ as apolitical as Cordelia
>> _pretends_ to be, ok?
>
> Jumping on my own post here - "pretends" wasn't the right word and
> it's been bothering me ever since I hit the "send" button. (It's that
> compulsive cleaning-up streak again.)
>
> Granted that Cordelia functions extremely well inside Barrayar's
> convoluted politics, I betcha she would describe herself as
> apolitical..and mean it. I think she regards the whole Barrayaran
> system as some kind of mass hallucination and considers herself
> successful as an outsider/scientist analyzing the hallucination rather
> than as a member of the political system acting within it.
>
> So I probably should have written "as apolitical as Cordelia believes
> herself to be."

See, I'd argue this isn't quite right either, but I get your point. I
think there's this sense in which Cordelia sees politics as Jeffersonian
democracy, (or Betan democracy, or whatever), so any other political
system isn't political. Which is nonsense, and she's quite smart enough
to know that. The thing is, there is no way that cutting off the
usurper's head (or ordering same) is not a political act.

> As for the kind of mass hallucination which leads people to discuss
> fictional characters as if they were real people....let's not get into
> that right now, eh?

What hallucination?

robyn