[DWJ] Mediocre fantasy serieses (was Titles (was

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Jun 13 18:35:05 EDT 2006

Dorian wrote

> Didn't the contract have the division of labour in it?

it's been so long that I can't remember the exact sequence of events,
only that I got morally committed to doing the book before I found out
just how minimal Annie's collaboration was going to be. Since that
experience I've made it clear to my agent that I do NOT want to do any
more sharecrop books.

> would you have been okay doing it if you'd actually liked the story?
No - it would obviously have been more fun writing the book if I had
liked the story, but I really think it's wrong to sell books as "by X
and Y" when the truth is really "this book was written by Y and we're
paying X to tack his/her name onto it so that you'll think it's by a
writer you know and like."

BTW, you're probably right about most of those other "collaborations"
you've read. I quit going to sf conventions a long time ago and so I'm
not au fait with the current gossip, but I have heard that these
pseudo-collaborations have become very popular with publishers. I'd be
deeply suspicious of any "collaboration" where one author is a Big Name
and the other is somebody you never heard of!

--

-Margaret Ball
www.flameweaver.com