[DWJ] not writing one's own books

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Tue Jun 13 17:03:35 EDT 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 09:11:24PM +0000, Minnow wrote:

>So I would have been wrong if I'd assumed McCaffrey wasn't doing any of the
>writing after a certain date, as it were.

_Powers That Be_ (1993 with Elizabeth Scarborough) was touted at the
time as "McCaffrey's First Genuine Collaboration" - by its publisher, I
think! So anything prior to that with an "and" in the author credit (the
Ship sharecrop sequels, the Doona sequel, and the Sassinak/Generation
Warriors/Death of Sleep lot) is likely to be as Margaret described hers.
I have no idea about the books that came later.

>What I have always wondered, though, is: if someone else writes the book,
>and the Big Name Author is the only one whose name goes onto the cover and
>into the copyright bit, what (apart from money) is in it for the someone
>else?

A fair chunk of money, and a reputation with that publisher as a
reliable piecework author (i.e. more money later). But most
"collaborations" I've seen have had both names credited.

I have seen books of fiction with no author credit at all: the "Tom
Clancy's Op Centre" series, at least the early volumes. One has to look
slightly carefully, but Clancy and Steve Pieczenik created the world,
and nobody else is credited at all...