[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Jun 13 15:05:42 EDT 2006

On Tuesday, June 13, 2006, at 11:31 AM, Irina Rempt wrote:

> On Monday 12 June 2006 20:12, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
>
>> Irina said...

>>> Oh yes, Sheri Tepper's _Beauty_ <shudder>.
>>
>> Oh, goodness, yes!  What an infuriating book!  I thought I was going
>> to get a nice fairy-tale retelling fantasy story.  What I got was a
>> mish-mash of several fairy-tale retellings that couldn't decide
>> whether to be fantasy or science fiction, tacked onto insanely
>> heavy-handed feminist polemic of the men-are-all-evil variety.  I
>> wanted to beat Tepper to death with it.  (And it was all the worse
>> because I'd enjoyed some of her other books.)
>
> This is the only book of hers that I've read, and people (on this list,
> among other places) have been warning me that most of the rest is
> pessimistic and/or polemic in the same way (though not in as large a
> measure) so I haven't tried any others.

Polemic, but not pessimistic.  She only writes books about gender
imbalance, AFAIK, but she does it in lots of interesting ways.  I really
like _Six-Moon Dance_, for example.

If you are or ever have been a girl, you know that girls are
aggressive. This is news the way the Code of Hammurabi
is news.

                                                       —science writer
Natalie Angier