[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Jun 13 14:06:41 EDT 2006

Irina said...

>> > Oh yes, Sheri Tepper's _Beauty_ <shudder>.
>>
>> Oh, goodness, yes!  What an infuriating book!  I thought I was going
>> to get a nice fairy-tale retelling fantasy story.  What I got was a
>> mish-mash of several fairy-tale retellings that couldn't decide
>> whether to be fantasy or science fiction, tacked onto insanely
>> heavy-handed feminist polemic of the men-are-all-evil variety.  I
>> wanted to beat Tepper to death with it.  (And it was all the worse
>> because I'd enjoyed some of her other books.)
>
> This is the only book of hers that I've read, and people (on this list,
> among other places) have been warning me that most of the rest is
> pessimistic and/or polemic in the same way (though not in as large a
> measure) so I haven't tried any others.

Well, I remember enjoying "The True Game", but I can't now remember what it
was about...pretty sure there wasn't rabid man-hating feminism in it,
though.  And "Marianne, the Magus and the Manticore" is quite good (though
the sequels go downhill rapidly).  I agree that most of the rest that I've
looked at has seemed to be on a par with "Beauty".

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"