[DWJ] Mediocre fantasy serieses (was Titles (was

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Jun 13 14:01:48 EDT 2006

Margaret said...

> BTW, those "ship" sequels are sharecrops, not real collaborations....I
> wrote the whole book based on 2 pp of scrawled notes from Annie outlining
> a story I didn't much like and never could get really interested in. If
> I'd known that was going to be the deal I'd never have signed the
> contract; I still feel guilty about the people who bought the book, who
> probably thought they were getting something that was half McCaffrey and
> half unknown writer,instead of maybe .5% McCaffrey and 99.5% Some Fantasy
> Writer I Never Heard Of.

Hah!  I feel vindicated!

I always thought that was probably the case with that set of novels, and
with a lot of other "collaborations" I've read, too.  It's rather pleasing
to learn that I was right.

(But, ugh, I'd hate to get stuck writing a story I didn't like.  Didn't the
contract have the division of labour in it?  Or would you have been okay
doing it if you'd actually liked the story?)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"