[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Tue Jun 13 13:31:02 EDT 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 20:12, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> Irina said...
>
> > On Monday 12 June 2006 06:52, Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:
> >>   Anyone else got books they WISH they had never read?
> >
> > Oh yes, Sheri Tepper's _Beauty_ <shudder>.
>
> Oh, goodness, yes!  What an infuriating book!  I thought I was going
> to get a nice fairy-tale retelling fantasy story.  What I got was a
> mish-mash of several fairy-tale retellings that couldn't decide
> whether to be fantasy or science fiction, tacked onto insanely
> heavy-handed feminist polemic of the men-are-all-evil variety.  I
> wanted to beat Tepper to death with it.  (And it was all the worse
> because I'd enjoyed some of her other books.)

This is the only book of hers that I've read, and people (on this list,
among other places) have been warning me that most of the rest is
pessimistic and/or polemic in the same way (though not in as large a
measure) so I haven't tried any others.

> My other candidates for this category...
>
> Golding's "The Lord of the Flies".  Yuck.  Just yuck.

Had to read that at school. Agree about yuck.

> Steinbeck's "The Pearl".  I don't mind gloomy books, but there are
> limits, and this one went *way* past them.

Narrowly escaped having to read that at school because I was on a
special programme: as long as my grade average for English stayed above
8.5 (out of 10) I could get away with only taking oral and written
tests. I did have to read, but I could choose my own books as long as I
showed them to the teacher for approval, and I was supposed to spend
the free time on something to do with English, so I spent two delicious
terms setting up exhibitions about writers in the school library and
reading almost the whole Ballantine adult-fantasy collection. (And came
out at 9.8 in the end)

> Stephen King's "Salem's Lot".  Read on the recommendation of a
> college friend.  There's five hours wasted in boredom that I won't
> get back again.

Never read that, thank goodness. After my time, I suppose. I did read
one book by Stephen King on my mother's recommendation, don't remember
what it was, ought to have known better.

> The first volume of Stephen Donaldson's "Chronicles
> of Thomas Covenant". Read on the recommendation of the same college
> friend.  Five hours spent wanting to kick Thomas Covenant very hard
> in the rear.

Tried that, never made it past page 20 or so.

> Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire".  Five hours spent wanting
> to kick Louis very hard in the rear.

Also after my time, also I avoid anything with vampires on principle.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 29-May-2005