[DWJ] Titles (was London Meet)

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Jun 13 13:23:55 EDT 2006

Kyra wrote

> The thing with Pam Dean's endings is that reading her books is a really
> great experience.  You have all this stuff going on, and it's all spooky
> and numinous and seems quite profound, and you don't know quite what's
> going to turn out to be going on.  And then, in both cases, not only is
> there a rushed ending, but, and this is the key difference from DWJ, the
> explanations you get are exactly the most banal, predictable possible
> explanation for the events of the story.
Kind of makes you wish she'd collaborate with somebody who's strong on
plot, doesn't it?

Anybody ever read her earlier trilogy - _The Secret Country_, _The
Hidden Land_, and _The Whim of the Dragon_? It's been so long that I
can't quite remember now, but I think the books had an interesting
premise (children get into a "magic" country which turns out to be based
on stories they had made up earlier). To the best of my increasingly
fragmented recollection, the trilogy got less interesting as you got
farther into it - I think she quit playing with the premise and got into
long boring stuff about the castle politics of the imaginary country -
boring to me, anyway. But that might just be my perspective; I am almost
as apolitical as Miles Vorkosigan's mother.

--
-Margaret Ball
www.flameweaver.com