[DWJ] Swithering Depths (was Titles (was London Meet))

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Jun 13 13:15:01 EDT 2006

SallyO wrote

> It's a Gothic, isn't it? The kind it's fashionable to denigrate when
> written in the 70s, but this one it Litter-mature because it was writ
> in the 19th C.

Yeah, but not all the 19thC Gothics get to be Literature - look at
_Glenarvon_, for instance. (or better, don't look - it'll rot your
brain). I thought that would have to be interesting because it was a
roman a clef in which I actually knew something about the people she was
portraying, but I couldn't get through it. WH is a lot more readable
than _Glenarvon_, or for that matter than _The Old English Baron_ or
_The Mysteries of Udolpho_ or oops, I'm getting back into the 18th century.

The only good thing I can think of about _Glenarvon_ is that if Lady
Caroline Lamb hadn't written it, Georgette Heyer might not have written
_Sylvester_.

--
-Margaret Ball
www.flameweaver.com