[DWJ] Mediocre fantasy serieses (was Titles (was

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Jun 13 13:05:20 EDT 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Paul Andinach wrote:

> > Margaret Ball's 'The Ship Who Searched' is also not bad, although it
> > has one of the worst blurbs I've ever read.

Whoops, crossed wires: Margaret Ball's was 'PartnerShip'.

Baen has this vicious policy on blurbs....if you don't like it they invite you to compose your own. Trust me, if I'd had to write the blurb it would've been even worse!

BTW, those "ship" sequels are sharecrops, not real collaborations....I wrote the whole book based on 2 pp of scrawled notes from Annie outlining a story I didn't much like and never could get really interested in. If I'd known that was going to be the deal I'd never have signed the contract; I still feel guilty about the people who bought the book, who probably thought they were getting something that was half McCaffrey and half unknown writer,instead of maybe .5% McCaffrey and 99.5% Some Fantasy Writer I Never Heard Of.

The first two Acorna books, later on, were actual collaborations - I went over to Dragonhold and worked there, me writing in the morning, Annie in the afternoon. I'm not claiming they're any better - actually, they convinced me that I am not good at this collaboration business - but at least they're not frauds perpetrated on the readers.

--
-Margaret Ball
www.flameweaver.com