[DWJ] Mediocre fantasy serieses (was Titles (was

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 13 12:32:04 EDT 2006

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> There is also the interesting *Ship Who Sang* premise -- the human
> who cannot ever experience carnal love because it's a crippled
> infant really, but it's also an adult spaceship -- being lost
> because the shell-person ends up being given a human body after all
> just so she can swoon into the arms of her true-love and live
> happily-ever-after.  Gah.

This deserves some clarification: 'The Ship Who Sang', some years
after its original publication, was spun off into a series of novels
set in the same universe and each co-written by Anne McCaffrey and X.
None of the novels featured Helva, the Ship who sang - in fact, the
series tagline was "The Ship Who Sang is not alone!", which I always
thought was silly, since even in the original she was far from alone.

The book in which a shellperson ends up gaining a human body so she
can be with her true love was - ahaha - co-written by Mercedes Lackey.
(It's also, by the way, the aforementioned book I read twice to make
sure I could be fair about how dreadful it is.)

'The City Who Fought', co-written by S. M. Stirling[1], gets my vote
for both the best shellperson story and the best story on its own
merits - although the same content warnings apply as to any other of
Stirling's novels. Margaret Ball's 'The Ship Who Searched' is also not
bad, although it has one of the worst blurbs I've ever read.

[1] An amusing anecdote to finish off with: It wasn't until I started
encountering some of Stirling's other stuff, years later, that I
realised that "S. M. Stirling", unlike all the other collaborators,
was a guy.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."